The Behavior Support Specialist is directly accountable to the Vice President of Operations-Western Region.
- Conducts Functional Behavioral Assessments and other assessments as indicated.
- Develops and maintains behavior support plans which utilize positive strategies and are based on Functional Behavioral Assessments
- Identifies treatment modalities/strategies, behavioral goals and intervention techniques that are proactive, strength’s based, non-aversive and individualized to meet the individual’s needs.
- Collects and evaluates behavioral data.
- Conducts training related to the implementation of the behavior support plans for the participant, family member and staff
- Collaborates and acts as a liaison between the participant, family, and their team in order to develop positive interventions to address issues or concerns.
- Effectively schedules and participates in meetings to assess the individual’s progress and determine modifications where necessary.
- Observes individual in various settings.
- Monitors implementation of the behavior support plan and revises as needed
- Obtains supervision on monthly basis with the Vice President of Operations-Western Region to review caseload to ensure utilization of positive strategies that are based on the appropriate assessment tools.
- Develops and maintains a flexible schedule and accepts additions to caseload as assigned.
- Works traditional hours, as well as non-traditional hours, in a variety of settings (home, community, etc.) to insure appropriate implementation of the individuals behavioral support
- Maintains daily logs that accurately reflect behavioral services provided to each individual and ensures this information is recorded according to the systems in place at Step By Step, Inc.
- Maintains open lines of communication and relays information to treatment team members, supervisors, family and other staff as required.
- Participates in pre-service and in-service trainings on an ongoing basis to further increase skills and knowledge base in the field of behavior therapy. Is aware of and maintains required number of training hours annually.
- Ensures all required documentation is completed legibly, professionally, and submitted in a timely manner.
- Effectively plans scheduled days to minimize travel time and expenses while increasing service time available to individuals on caseload.
- Assures all expenses are kept at a minimum and receives prior approval for expenditures.
- Attends mandatory meetings scheduled by Step By Step, Inc. and effectively re-schedules appointments as necessary to minimize service time lost to the individual.
- Ensures strict adherence to all Step By Step, Inc. policies including policies on confidentiality, principles of cultural competency; and maintains high standards of conduct at all times.
- Takes the initiative to identify and accomplish both individual goals and personal goals and continues to be resourceful in creating new goals.
- Effectively organizes time to ensure appropriate delivery of service to all individuals for self and individuals supervised.
- Completes necessary re-credentialing process, including updating clearances for assigned position within specified time frames.
- Any other duties as assigned by the Vice President of Operations-Western Region.
(Education and/or Experience/Physical Demands/Other Skills and Abilities)
Education and/or Experience:
- Master’s degree in psychology, social work, special education or a related human service field; and
- Two years experience working with people with an intellectual disability or Autism.
- Must be able to bend and/or reach in order to file or retrieve items such as supplies, etc.
- Must possess the physical ability to operate office machines.
- Must be able to set up rooms for meeting or trainings (moving tables, chairs, etc.).
- Must be able to lift at least 5-10 pounds, sometimes more.
- Must possess the physical ability to manage aggressive individuals weighing between 30 and 200+ pounds and standing between 3 and 6+ feet high. Must be physically able to perform movements such as twisting, falling, rolling, and maneuvering in a quick but safe manner.
- Must be physically capable of performing CPR and First Aid in the event of an emergency.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license from state of residency and be insurable under Step By Step’s insurance carrier’s regulations.
- Must pass and maintain CPR and First Aid certification.
- Must be able to obtain Act 33 clearance.
- Other Skills and Abilities (continued):
- Must pass and maintain Handle with Care Training Certification and/or other Agency approved behavior management training.
- Must read, write, speak and understand the English language.
- Demonstrates knowledge of consumer rights at all times.
- Must be familiar with all regulatory guidelines related to behavior support services.
- Must demonstrate dependability in all areas including punctuality, responsibility, and reliability.
- Must be able to handle multiple priorities.
- Must demonstrate an ability to establish credibility, be decisive, have sound administrative skills and arrive at creative solutions to problems.
- Must be able to support a positive working atmosphere within the department.
- Must demonstrate an ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, management, referral sources, and general public.
- Must promote a safe workplace by implementing safety guidelines as set forth by Step By Step, Inc.
- Must possess good communication, written and verbal skills.
- Must possess good organizational skills.
- Must present a professional attitude at all times when dealing with co-workers, management and outside contacts.
- Must maintain a pleasant demeanor on a consistent basis in order to remain open and accessible to all co workers, management staff, and outside contacts.
- Must be willing and able to attend conferences, seminars, trainings and meetings as instructed.
- Must be willing and able to serve on an Agency committee if requested.
- Must be knowledgeable of Agency services, policies and procedures.
- Must adhere to Professional Standards as set forth by the Agency.
- Must maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Must actively promote and personally observe safety and security procedures.